- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Tres Leches Mixture:
- one 14-ounce can sweetened and condensed milk
- one 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 handful fresh Wish Farms raspberries
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with floured cooking spray or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- Add the 5 egg yolks, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until pale yellow and doubled in volume, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup whole milk, vanilla, flour, baking powder, salt, and beat on low speed until combined.
- To a medium bowl, add the egg whites and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form but egg whites are not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Bake for about 32 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan on a wire rack. While cake cools, make the tres leches mixture.
For the Tres Leches Mixture:
- To a medium bowl, add the 3 milks and whisk to combine.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the top of the cake. Slowly pour the tres leches mixture over the top of the cake letting it soak in as you go. Try to pour as much over the cake as possible, without neglecting the edges.
- Allow cake to cool at room temp for a 1 to 2 hours before covering and refrigerating until chilled, at least 2 hours, or overnight.
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a large bowl and handheld electric mixer) add the heavy cream and beat on high speed until thickened and spreadable.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat to combine.
- Evenly spread the whipped cream over cake and garnish with fresh raspberries.