This wonderful recipe is from the kitchen of Maria Provenzano, our very own Life Style Pixie. Visit Maria’s blog for delicious recipes and more!
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats (use sprouted if you can find it)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/ 2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (you can use nutmeg if you like instead)
- 1-2 tablespoons Chia Seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I reccomend dutch process)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 8 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil (If you cannot find this then use organic butter)
- Straus Dairy organic plain yogurt (filling for the tarts)
- Wish Farm strawberries (As many as you wish!)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl combine the coconut, oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, allspice, chia seeds, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a sauce pan melt together the honey and coconut oil. Once melted add it to the oat mixture and stir until everything is well mixed and coated with the honey and coconut oil.
- Scoop a small amount into the tart pan and press down using a scoop so that the mixture goes up the sides. You want to press it down so that the mixture is tightly packed.Then bake for about 15 minutes.
- If you have extra, just scoop the rest onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat down with a spatula making sure the mixture is packed together and not just loosely spread out.
- If you are making it like this then you only need to bake for 12 minutes unless you like it really crunchy and you can leave it for 15-17 minutes. If you like almonds, peanuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds then add them to the recipe! The great thing about this is that you can make it your own by adding things you like.
- Once the tarts have cooled remove them from the tart pan. These pans can be found at basically any baking supply store. I reccomend the ones with the bottoms that pop out because it is easier to remove the tart from the pan.
- Once the granola tart shells have completely cooled, fill them with the yogurt and top with the heart-shaped strawberries. To make the strawberries heart-shaped, just cut the tops. Then cut them in half and use a paring knife to cut the tops to more of a heart-shape.