Thanks to Kim Watkinson, The Ninja Baker, we have a delicious and adventurous bento for kiddos of all ages! “[These] crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, gluten-free strawberry cookies are wonderful! The cookies are slightly reminiscent of digestive wheat biscuits from the UK. (But remember the cookies are gluten-free!)”
Like any well rounded meal, don’t forget to include some healthy snacks in your bento like the fresh berries pictured below!
For more delicious recipes and Bentos, go to Kim’s Website, The Ninja Baker!
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flout
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sliced into small bits of fresh Wish Farm strawberries
- 1 cup gluten-free, nut and dairy free chocolate chips
- With the paddle attachment of a kitchen stand mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugars 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until well combined. (scraping the bowl with a spatula helps.)
- Drop in the egg. Beat the guar gum, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the butter mix on low to medium speed.
- Sprinkle in the strawberries and chocolate chips then refrigerate overnight. Take out the next day about 45 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Makes about 40 cookies.