Blueberries are a perfect addition to any recipe or simply delicious on their own but did you know berries last 3-7 days when you leave the grocery store?!
Make your 3 day expiration date turn into 7 by taking all these necessary steps to keep your berries fresher longer.
Here are our top 3 tips to keeping your blueberries yummy and fresh.
1. Choose your blueberries wisely
- Ensure that you are grabbing a package free of dents and mushed berries from the refrigerated section.
- The package should also be dry and clean. Any sign of water in there is a recipe for disaster!
2. Rinse your blueberries just before consuming
- Many people love to take home their produce and do one full rinsing session before placing into their fridge. This simply cannot be done with berries because they absorb water.
- Wet berries will have an accelerated rate of decomposition.
- Instead, rinse them right before eating. If you can wait, allow the berries to adjust to room temperature. This allows your berries to be much much sweeter!
3. Keep blueberries in the fridge
- If the cold chain is broken, your berries are going to get decay much faster! Always keep your berries in your fridge. No exceptions!