Strawberries are probably the most popular berry…and for good reason! They are as versatile as they are delicious but can be a bit fickle when it comes to keeping them fresh as long as possible.
Did you know berries only last 3-7 days when you leave the grocery store?!
Here are our top 3 tips to keeping your strawberries yummy and fresh.
1. Choose your Strawberries wisely
- Ensure that you are grabbing a package free of dents and mushed berries from the refrigerated section.
- The package should also be dry and clean. Any sign of water in there is a recipe for disaster!
2. Rinse your strawberries just before consuming
- Many people love to take home their produce and do one full rinsing session before placing into their fridge. This simply cannot be done with berries because they absorb water.
- Wet berries will have an accelerated rate of decomposition.
- Instead, rinse them right before eating. If you can wait, allow the berries to adjust to room temperature. This allows your berries to be much much sweeter!
3. Keep berries in the fridge
- If the cold chain is broken, your berries are going to get decay much faster! Always keep your berries in your fridge. No exceptions!
Did you know that if you freeze your strawberries, you could make them last up to a year!!? This is huge for reserving those precious yummy berries for smoothies, pies and any other recipe your little heart desires!